Skip to main content

I was convicted of attempted robbery in 2nd in 2000. I have kept out of trouble since got 5 yrs probation never did state time.

Brooklyn, NY |

How can I clean my record

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Unfortunately, there is no sealing or expungement statute available. There is hope in the near future.

    Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

    I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

  2. There is no way to "clean" or "clear" your record in NY. Records are permanent. There is talk of legislation to allow for expungement under limited circumstances, but it is a long way away from becoming law -- if it ever does.

  3. Criminal convictions cannot be sealed or expunged in NYS.

  4. You can only petition to have it sealed from potential employers or schools. You probably won't become a cop because they can still see it.

    Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights. Good Luck.




    Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq.
    Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado

    Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut
    The Estrella Law Firm, P.C.
    75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170
    Inside The Bulova Corporate Center
    Jackson Heights, NY 11370
    T. (347) 628-2391
    F. (718) 672-4728

  5. Unfortunately, New York is not one of the states that allows expungement at the present time. A record here is a permanent record.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics