Skip to main content

I was convicted for possesion with intent to distribute cds,I recently got my record expunged.Can I become a citizen?

Irvington, NJ |
Attorney answers 7


You owe it to yourself to contact an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues. If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Also, please be sure to read my disclaimer below. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


Now that you have successfully expunged your record, your question now needs to directed to an experienced immigration attorney.


You need to speak to an immigration attorney. Try Harlan York profiled on AVVO. He is in Newark. The expungement will not hide the conviction from Immigration. But I do not know if it changes your status.


You need to speak to an immigration attorney.

Benjamin G. Kelsen IF YOU LIKE THIS ANSWER PLEASE INDICATE YOUR APPRECIATION BY SELECTING IT AS "BEST ANSWER." Law Offices of Benjamin G. Kelsen, Esq. LLC 179 Cedar Lane Teaneck, NJ 07666 Phone: 201-692-0073/ Fax: 201-692-0151 Web Site: / Email: NOT LEGAL ADVICE: The above information may contain an opinion which does not constitute legal advice. Unless a retainer agreement has been signed, we are not your legal representatives, and you should not rely on any opinions contained in this message.


The expungement has no effect on immigration. You need to speak with an immigration lawyer and provide more information about the conviction.


Expungement will not help you in Immigration matters most of the times. A review of the court disposition and all your facts is necessary to determine if you could naturalize.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.


In applying for citizenship, you have the burden of proving you are a person of "good moral character." Some convictions, particularly drug convictions, will bar you from being able to show this. Not to scare you, but certain convictions could even trigger deportation if the officer looking at your citizenship application decides to send your file over to the deportation office. Generally, immigration will look into the past 5 years preceding your application but they may look further. Expunged records make no difference for immigration purposes. People with NO criminal history may be able to handle a citizenship application on their own but with a situation like yours, I highly recommend you contact an attorney. Our office handles BOTH immigration and criminal defense Feel free to contact us for an evaluation.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer