Skip to main content

I was claimed as a dependent without my consent, what can I do?

Manhattan, KS |
Filed under: Tax law

When I filed my taxes I filed single and claimed myself. I am 20yrs old and am a full-time student by gov. standards. However, I also work a full time job year round. I live on my own and completely
support myself.

I recently found out my taxes were rejected because someone claimed me as a dependent. I quickly found out that my biological father claimed me on his taxes even though I do not even speak to him anymore. My mother and he are divorced and have been since I was very young. He does not provide me ANY support and I do not live with him and never have.

I am now going to get a much lower refund because he claimed me and I cannot claim myself. Is there anyway I can contest his claim, or am I completely out of luck because I am his by-blood child, under 24 and a full-time student?

Attorney Answers 1


I think you can and should appeal and should also report him for taking a fraudulent deduction. A good CPA or tax attorney can help you with your appeal.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics