I was charged with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. What is the penalty?

Greensboro, NC |

This is my first charge and I had a accident in the vehicle. It was not insured and it had bad tags. the accident was my fault.

1. Could be jail and fines.

Stay offline with any further admissions of guilt in public, in writing....get yourself a criminal defense attorney ASAP.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

2. You need to contact a criminal lawyer in whatever county the case is set in.

3. Never disclose the facts of your case and admit fault on a public forum. You need to contact a local criminal defense attorney to determine the answer to your question, and to determine the best path forward.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.

4. Could be iron city, so retain a good criminal lawyer to fight it