I was charged with sexual asult of a minor and took a polygragh test also gave dna and passed both and now the aleged victim is

Asked almost 2 years ago - Plainview, TX

saying it has happened in the past what should be my next step in this matter

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Next step should be to get a good criminal defense lawyer who is experienced in the defense of sexual assault of a minor cases.

    Unfortunately, polygraph results are not admissible in Texas criminal trials. And, sometimes they are not accepted by prosecutors as a sufficient basis to drop a case. While many sexual assault cases involve DNA evidence, I have seen quite a few and heard of more over the years that did not involve DNA. One situation that is fairly common is a child who makes an outcry several months or even years after the events supposedly occurred.

    You really do need a good criminal defense lawyer working on this, ASAP.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  2. Richard Timothy Jones

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are the suspect in a sexual case you need to contact an attorney. You shouldn't talk to law enforcement on your own.
    Austin Jail Release and Bond Assistance
    Austin Probation Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client... more
  3. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your first step should have been to hire a defense attorney experience with sex assault cases. If you haven't done that yet, it's definitely your next step.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more
  4. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your next steps are:
    1) stop talking to cops; and
    2) hire coounsel

    The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

25,451 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

25,451 answers this week

3,007 attorneys answering