I was charged with petty theft, will this stop me from getting my car dealers license. I finished my probation/paid all fees

Asked over 1 year ago - Escondido, CA

I paid all fees and restitution and this happened 5 years ago. I've been off probation for 2 years.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

10

Answered . California's DMV can deny a Vehicle Salesperson license based on any criminal conviction (see CA Bus & Prof Code sec 490 and 480), but the agency may choose to issue the license or to issue a restricted (probationary) license rather than to deny. A licensing attorney can assist you in drafting the all-important narrative statement that is required with your application and can counsel you in multiple ways to raise your "score" on the mandatory statutory factors of rehabilitation and mitigation. Legal and strategic planning can have an outcome-determinative impact on the agency's decision about your application for license.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

5

Answered . Ms. McCall is well versed in this area so I would follow her advice. In addition, contact her office to see if she offers a free consultation. If she does, then make an appointment for a consultation since the price is right. I wish you the best.

3. Vijay Dinakar

Pro

4

Answered . I could be glib and suggest that engaging in petty theft is good training for becoming a car dealer but I'll instead advise you to hire Ms. McCall to help you with this matter, she's basically the go to attorney for professional licensing matters. Best of luck.

4. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

3

Answered . You will need to disclose the conviction and "explain." Filing for an expungement may help,as well. Please contact me if you would like assistance filing for an expungement.

Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy (619) 855-3003 or (760) 522-7006 criminalattorneysd.com
  5. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

1

Answered . Seek a dismissal under Penal Code section 1203.4, but you likely will still need to disclose the conviction for the licensing process.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555