Skip to main content

I was charged with leaving and seen the accident. A friend tells me I can downgrade to "zero" points. He says "obstructive

New Brunswick, NJ |

"obstructive traffic". Will I win? A lawyer can win? Why - what can the lawyer do? Is he "connected"? How can I get a "connected" lawyer?

Attorney Answers 8

  1. Best answer

    Snowballs chance in hell.

  2. First of all go see a lawyer instead of a friend. Leaving the scene of an accident is serious business and especially so if anyone was injured.

    But to answer your question, unless there was something wrong with the state evidence they would not be offering you obstructing traffic as a plea.

    Please see a lawyer. There are many here who do great work.

  3. If your friend isn't a lawyer, don't take their legal advice as they aren't lawyers and aren't qualified to make such statements. Also, you're facing anywhere from 2 to 8 points being assessed on your license depending on whether there was bodily injury. You're also facing anywhere from 6 months to 1 year depending on the facts and circumstances. What you need to do is speak to a lawyer who can sit down with you in a confidential setting and get an account of what happened on the day in question. Your driving history among other factors will largely determine what possible outcome could happen in Municipal Court. Meet with an attorney in person PRIOR to your scheduled court date so you can be properly advised.

    Lawyers aren't "connected". Lawyers know the case law, statutes and court rules better than most people who aren't attorneys. We are in court more frequently and know what information to look for in the police reports and how to avoid making statements that could be potentially incriminating. Good luck on your case.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.

  4. Leaving the scene is very serious. I have not heard of a downgrade to obstructing the flow of traffic. More likely would be failure to report an accident. It is impossible to say exactly what is possible without knowing all the facts. Good luck.

  5. Mr. Avani is absolutely correct. If your friend is a lawyer, he is possibly guilty of malpractice. Listening to a friend in a case like this is like asking your friend to treat you for a heart condition. Leaving the scene of an accident is a very serious offense, especially if there was any personal injury or property damage involved. This can result in a license suspension, fines, and even jail. You need to see an attorney right away. There are ways to lower the penalty, but you need a traffic attorney on your side.

    DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

  6. If you want a lawyer to help, all you need to do is ask.....

    Lawyers provide services to clients, and because they have knowledge based on their experience and their studies, usually can get clients a resolution they are happy with. If they didn't do this, why would all those people pay for the services?

    Like I said, if you want help, just ask......

  7. That's quite a stretch. A review of discovery is the least that is needed to give you reliable advice.

    973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

  8. New Brunswick Municipal is a very reasonable Court. Leaving the scene is a 6 month suspension. If there was injury do not think of going without an attorney. If just property damage an attorney can do much better also. 0 points on the careless driving ticket is likely possible, better with an attorney. Obstruction is not as likely but possible. Also there is the issue of a "civil reservation" for future suit purposes. The big issue is to get rid of the LTS. Call around to experienced criminal defense attorneys in the general area.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics