I was charged with failure to register as a sex offender when I left florida to move to sc

Asked over 3 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

My atty is not doing anything but he had this case pushed for a year I'm scared my wife and I have a six week old son and no more money and need a lot of help I don't want to go to jail or prison this is the first time this has happend I always register I have a crimnal backround please some help God bless

Additional information

What are possibles of me going to jail or prison??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Garry Lee Potts

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Since you have an attorney already, you need to speak to him or her and make sure that you understand what the strategy is. Many times there are very good reasons for cases to be continued.

  2. John Patrick Guidry II

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . I'm not sure based upon your question exactly which state has charged you with failing to register. That being said, failure to register as a sex offender can be a difficult case to prove in the state of florida. The reason is, the statute is written in such a way so as to provide an offender with the burden to register within a certain time limit upon arrival in a new place. If you're traveling by car across the state of florida, the statute does not require you to register in each and every area in which you pass thru. So, how does this relate to your case? Well, hopefully, you have not said much to the police. The crime of failure to register often times requires the confession of the sex offender in order to prove the case--or at least in order to forclose any possible 'other scenarios' such as what's described above.

    These are tricky cases, and the police investigating are even worse. You MUST contact an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options. You MUST NOT speak to anyone else, nor should family be discussing this case with anyone without first speaking with your attorney.

    Good Luck,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,858 answers this week

2,915 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,858 answers this week

2,915 attorneys answering