Skip to main content

I was charged with DUI first offence bac .12 in chesapeake VA, i live in texas,im working here, what are the charges and fines?

Chesapeake, VA |

I want to know what fines and charges im facing? Also will the state of virginia pull my record from texas.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


First of all you need to appear at court. If you fail to appear the court will not decide the DUI case but will issue an arrest warrant. The maximum fine is $2500 plus court costs and up to one year in jail. You need to hire local counsel and prepare your defense.

For More information about Attorney Pfeiffer see: 1. Please remember that if you find an answer particularly helpful, please mark it as helpful or "best answer" so that the attorneys who volunteer their time to answer these questions have feedback.  The information contained in this message is for general informational purposes only. It is not intended to be legal advice, nor is it a substitute for professional legal services. Wolcott Rivers Gates disclaims the formation of an attorney-client relationship by use of AVVO, and no such relationship exists unless and until a written Fee Agreement has been endorsed by Wolcott Rivers Gates and the client. Furthermore, given the public nature of this forum, there can be no expectation of privacy, confidentiality, privilege, or any other protection from disclosure.



Im just working out of town in virginia, i just want to get this over with the fastest way possible, will virginia pull my record from the state of texas were i live?

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer

Stephen Patrick Pfeiffer


Often times yes.


You need a virginia attorney ASAP. Your attorney will be able to explain the whole process and possibly reduce the sentence you could be facing. Contact local counsel ASAP b

Cassie L. Baudean, Esq. Baudean Law, PLLC (p) (804) 447-0146 Serving Richmond, Virginia to Chesapeake, Virginia Answers contained herein are to be considered general information and are not legal advice and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by answering your question. You should seek advice from a licensed attorney to have a complete and proper answer to your legal question.


The prosecution in VA will almost certainly have your TX record. Talk to a few VA DUI attorneys and hire the one that is the best fit. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen


DUI is a class 1 misdemeanor. If convicted, the maximum period of incarceration is 12 months in jail and the maximum fine is $2500. It is important to hire an attorney who is experienced in these matters. I have been practicing criminal and traffic law for over 20 years. If you would like to set up a consultation, please contact me at 757-410-5042. My office is located in the Greenbrier section of Chesapeake.


In addition to what has already been stated, if convicted you also face a 12 month suspension of your privileges to drive in Virginia. I'm assuming you are licensed in TX. If so, only TX can suspend your TX license and the DMV there may do so based on the Virginia conviction. The best thing to do is to consult with a Virginia Attorney who can get into all the subtleties of the DUI procedures (including Field Sobriety Tests) and the consequences of a conviction.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer