I was charged with domestic violence disordely conduct and destruction of property. This is my first offense

Cottonwood, AZ |

My girlfriend doesnt want to file charges or even take this to court because it was a simple drunk shouting match i got mad and threw her phone but i didnt hit her. What could be the punishment for this first time offense?

If she does not cooperate with the prosecution, they will be unable to prove the case and it will have to be dismissed. You should probably retain a criminal defense attorney to make sure this goes smoothly. Otherwise there is a good change you will end up with a DV conviction on your record, which will permanently prohibit you from owning firearms and may disadvantage you in other ways.

You're going to need to work with a criminal defense attorney to defeat this charge - the State considers itself a victim, so your girlfriend's opinion really doesn't matter to them. Your attorney will need to get a statement and waiver of victim's rights from her, give that to the State asking for dismissal, and work with you and her on what the allegations are, the facts as y'all remember them, and how and whether to testify at trial, what happens if people ignore subpoenas, etc. You're welcome to contact my office in Flagstaff to schedule an appointment here or in Sedona, if you're interested. 928-774-1515

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.