Skip to main content

I was charged with class a misdemeanor theft in 2012 for not reporting all of my earning to Texas Department of Human Resources

Houston, TX |

for the year 2008-2009.I did pay the fine back to prevent any charges going against me. Still received a charge after the fine was paid back in full. Can I get this case sealed or overturned and if so how much money do I have to have?

Attorney Answers 2


Yes, you still received the charge because the crime was still committed. The payment of restitution doesn't unring the bell. Whether you can get the case "overturned" is a totally separate question as to whether you leave the conviction intact and are for expungement or some other post-conviction relief. You should contact a Houston lawyer directly for eligibility and cost.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


It depends on the disposition of the case. If the case was dismissed outright, you can expunge it. If you successfully completed deferred probation, you should be able to seal it. Consult a defense attorney in your county to to confirm the disposition and your options.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at for more information about her services and recent victories.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics