I was charged with a petit larceny

Arlington, VA |

I don't believe I started that off correctly so I'm grateful for this add details box. But any how, a warrant for my arrest was issued just recently and I have never been convicted or even got in trouble all my life. Will I go to jail for this

I'll preface by saying that I don't know all the details of your case and that the punishment for such a crime is possibly jailtime, but it may be unlikely that one in your circumstances would be sentenced to jail. However, this is general information based on my experience meant to inform and not customized legal advice; you should consult with and retain an attorney for that. Also, you need legal counsel to determine what the collateral consequences of a charge are and possible conviction could be.

The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Only information presented is in the add info section. That is insufficient to address the question.
I completely agree with Mr. Jabaly. Also , based on experience, if there is a warrant and one waits to be arrested, the odds of getting out of jail are greatly reduced. Alexandria and Arlington are not that far apart. Call Mr. Jabaly.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

I would need more details about your case to determine whether you will go to jail. But, with no prior criminal history first offense petit larceny usually means no you will not go to jail. However, since you are charged with a criminal offense it's a good idea to hire an attorney who knows what they are doing. I would not recommend showing up to court alone. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them

As you have been charged with misdemeanor larceny, you are likely looking at a Class 1 misdemeanor with a possible jail sentence of up to 12 months. As to if you will actually go to jail depends on several factors such as the details of the incident, prior criminal history (or lack thereof), and the jurisdiction you were charged in.

I highly recommend you consult with a local attorney. He or she will be able to look at the specific facts in your case and will be in a better position to advise you. A diversion program is certainly not guaranteed.

This answer is only intended to provide legal information to the person posing the question. It should not be taken as legal advice and DOES NOT create an Attorney-Client Relationship. If you find yourself in a position where you require legal advice, it is recommended that you hire an attorney.

Whether you go to jail or not will depend on your facts and what defenses you and your attorney present. Contact a lawyer to help you. Good luck.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

James Garrett
Garrett Law Group, PLC
http://www.garrettlawgroup.com
jd@garrettlawgroup.com
(757) 422-4646 - 24 hour Service

Responding to questions on AVVO does not establish an attorney-client relationship between the questioner and any attorney associated with Garrett Law Group, PLC. Responses should be considered and used for informational purposes only. Every case is unique in its facts, and all legal matters should be discussed with a licensed attorney prior to making any decisions or taking any actions.