I was charged with a misdemeanor for wreckless driving in a parking lot. Do I need an attorney?

Ithaca, NY |

I am a college student with no legal history and have never even received a parking ticket. However, I very recently bought a new car and decided to test the brakes in an empty parking lot with no poles or cars in sight (this included what may be donuts and 2 friends were also in the car at the time.) However, 2 minutes later the campus police pulls me over and issues me a misdemeanor for wreckless driving. I can not afford any type of criminal record since it will greatly depreciate my chances for a decent job in the future. I will be going to court in less than 2 weeks. Should I plead not guilty and hire an attorney?

Sorry, I meant 'reckless'

You should hire a local attorney. It's an unclassified misdemeanor. If found guilty, you would have a record.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Retain a local experienced criminal defnse lawyer to help you. You do not want a criminal record on your employment applications.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or www.mynewyorkcitylawyer.com.

Of course hire a lawyer. You are charged with a crime. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You have your whole life ahead of you.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

You should definitely hire an attorney. You may not be guilty as there is a question about the parking lot being a road and also the lack of obstacles make it hard to be reckless. An attorney should be able to get you a resoltion without a conviction.