I was charged with a misdemeanor for wreckless driving in a parking lot. Do I need an attorney?

Asked about 1 year ago - Ithaca, NY

I am a college student with no legal history and have never even received a parking ticket. However, I very recently bought a new car and decided to test the brakes in an empty parking lot with no poles or cars in sight (this included what may be donuts and 2 friends were also in the car at the time.) However, 2 minutes later the campus police pulls me over and issues me a misdemeanor for wreckless driving. I can not afford any type of criminal record since it will greatly depreciate my chances for a decent job in the future. I will be going to court in less than 2 weeks. Should I plead not guilty and hire an attorney?

Sorry, I meant 'reckless'

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

2

Answered . You should hire a local attorney. It's an unclassified misdemeanor. If found guilty, you would have a record.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . Retain a local experienced criminal defnse lawyer to help you. You do not want a criminal record on your employment applications.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . Of course hire a lawyer. You are charged with a crime. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. You have your whole life ahead of you.

4. Stephen Charles Cooper

1

Answered . You should definitely hire an attorney. You may not be guilty as there is a question about the parking lot being a road and also the lack of obstacles make it hard to be reckless. An attorney should be able to get you a resoltion without a conviction.