I was charged with a DUI in WI Nov. 2012, w no other convictions on my record. Can I become a certified nurse assistant in WI?

Asked about 1 year ago - Milwaukee, WI

--no other convictions post or prior
--have paid all fines pertaining to ticket
--enrolled to take class in driver safety
--had ignition interlock device installed in car, will be uninstalled in Nov. 2013
--obtained occupational driver's license in the same month charged w a DUI
--have worked as a school aide and respite care worker for more than a decade

1. Michael R. Cohen

Pro

4

Best Answer

Answered . Yes. This conviction should not have a bearing on your getting your license. It may be an issue for a potential employer. Those are different issues. good luck.

2. Kapesh Vithal Patel

4

Answered . I agree with my colleague above, you'd be wise to thoroughly research the Wisconsin Department of Health Services to find out exactly if it affects your ability to obtain your nursing assistant/aide license.

Here in California, the Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians will require you disclose the offense, however, to my knowledge, one DUI should not be an issue. If you had 2 DUIs, very high BAC, DUI w/ injury, etc., then they may decide that the crime is "substantially related to the qualifications, functions or duties of an LVN".

Good luck!

3. David M. Stegall

Pro

2

Answered . I do not believe your conviction would be a barrier to becoming a CNA, but you could double check online with the Department of Safety and Professional services for specific licensing information. Good luck

http://dsps.wi.gov/Home

4. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

3

Answered . It might be a good idea to check the WI state licensing website for certified nursing assistants. Where I practice in CA, while you would have to disclose it, it ultimately would not preclude one from obtaining such a license. Best of luck.

Jasen Nielsen