Skip to main content

I was charged with a DUI, the dmv suspended my license, and then the court dropped the charge. Do I still need an SR-22?

Huntington Beach, CA |

it has been a little over a year since the dmv suspended my license. I didn't bother to renew after the initial 4 months because I wanted to wait to see how things endd up in court. The DA dropped the charge, and so now I want to get my license. Will I need an SR22? Can I fight it?

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Yes you will need an SR-22. DMV can confirm this in order to drive again in California. Unfortunately, you cannot fight it now. Had you fought the DMV and prevailed initially, the SR-22 would have been avoided; a hearing would have had to been requested within 10 days by your California DUI attorney specialist.

  2. Since you have not contacted DMV for over one year, I am wondering if you still reside in California. If you have moved out of state, then you will not need to file an SR-22 unless you plan to drive in California. Should that be the case, in order to lift the suspension the California DMV will need to correspond with an out of state address to confirm that you live out of state. You should contact a DMV attorney to assist you.

  3. As previously posted you will be required to get the SR22. Additionally it sounds as if you may have take the DUI class to get you full driving privilege returned. This all based on that initial DMV suspension stemming from the original arrest. Though the court process stopped, DMV did not. There may be other alternatives depending on how and why the case was dismissed.

Traffic tickets topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics