I was charged with a DUI & a wet & wreckless in CA & can't pay any of my fines. Turn in date is only a week away!

Asked almost 2 years ago - Modesto, CA

Turn in date is 12/6/12, I have not been working due to lack of employment in my area & have not been able to pay anything including my AWP application fee OR my DUI class enrollment fine. I have a great opportunity with a new job next month, I will lose that if I go to jail. What are my best options? Can I delay my turn in date or payment dates? Who should I contact?

1. Matthew Murillo

Pro

4

Answered . What do you mean you've been charged with both? I've never seen any prosecuting agency charge a DUI and a Wet Reckless. Also, what do you mean your turn in date is 12-06-12? Do you mean that you are supposed to appear in Court? If you have a "turn in" date, otherwise known as a "surrender" date, you've already plea guilty and are now looking at doing the jail time. Is that the case?

If you have not been found guilty or have pleaded guilty, its not necessary to enroll in the alcohol program and pay any fines until that happens. Contact some local attorneys and discuss your case in person. Too many details are missing here to be able to offer you any help of substance.

2. Aaron Reuben Bortel

Pro

4

Answered . If you had an attorney, ask them to help you get an extension. If no attorney, then you can try to get the case back in front of a Judge and explain your financial situation. If you tell the court you can pay your application fees and start paying your fine in a month or two, they may be willing to give you an extension. The key is to do this before the surrender date passes, as this shows the court you are trying and paying attention to deadlines. If no attorney to help you, then you may want to show up at the clerk's office around 8AM tomorrow and see if you can get on Calendar tomorrow, or sometime within the next week. You will also may need a re referral to the DUI School.

3. George B. O'Neill

Pro

3

Answered . I don't know anything about the Modesto County Jail but I had one client do the following though I tried to talk him out of it... actually it worked out reasonably well. He refused to pay so it's not quite the same as not being able to pay... but you probably owe around $3500 right... at $50 off your fine per day in jail that would take 70 days to work off the fine in jail + your jail sentence instead of AWP. The Sheriff knocks off 50% good time work time. So now it's 35 days ($100 a day!) Then like my client did... apply for the Honor Farm or some sort of work detail; and also there are certain days of the month that the Sheriff considers early release for some folks in the bucket. Will your job pay you $3500 in one month or less! Anyway... you probably think that it is stupid but the advice is worth what you paid for it. ON THE OTHER HAND... isn't it Stockton that is some sort of crime capital in CA... !!! I wouldn't want you to do any time there if that is the County Jail! Sorry, I don't know my Ca counties... Run it past your attorney first so that you can be sure of the county jail policies. It just sounded like you were between a rock and a hard place and needed something out of the ordinary. (I hope that you were able to plead to the Wet second in order to the DUI.)