I was charged with a crime in Atlanta but I w as taken to another county for court.

Atlanta, GA |

I was charged with a crime in Atlanta but I w as taken to Dekalb for court. Can you tell me what federal statue helps me to establish that Atlanta is where I should be in court.

You were not charged with a federal crime if you were taken to DeKalb County for court (the US Courthouse is in Atlanta). However, under Georgia law, the proceedings generally must be held in the county in which the crime was committed, and a small portion of the City of Atlanta is in DeKalb County. I understand your concern, because unless the situation has changed since I practiced in state courts there 14 years ago, Fulton County is a much more friendlier venue than DeKalb.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
866.380.1782

Atlanta is a city whose boundaries lie in two counties, Fulton & DeKalb. Depending upon which part of Atlanta you were in when you arrested will determine which county your case will be heard ..... Unless it is a traffic matter then it will be heard in the Atlanta Municipal Court. Feel free to contact me should you need more guidance or counsel. With regards,

P Darrell Kimbrell

The information is provided for general purposes only and should not be relied upon. You are advised to consult with an attorney of your choosing, who can advise you on the particular facts and options in your case. No attorney-client relationship is intended or formed absent you executing a signed fee agreement. P. Darrell Kimbrell is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. Information provided is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice nor does such response create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Thanks. The alleged crime happened at the Buckhead train station. I am absolutely sure that this area is in Atlanta. Thanks for your help.

Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

yes it is Atlanta Fulton County. Marta police department

Thanks. I agree.

This is a matter of state law, not federal. Dekalb and Atlanta are in the same federal district. Sounds like you have a state case. That's probably a good thing.

My answer to your question is based on the facts that you provide in your question. Additional factual details about your situation could change my answer completely. The law in inherently uncertain and always subject to change.

I am working on a federal case at this moment. Thanks.