I was charged with a crime in Atlanta but I w as taken to another county for court.

Asked over 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I was charged with a crime in Atlanta but I w as taken to Dekalb for court. Can you tell me what federal statue helps me to establish that Atlanta is where I should be in court.

1. Joshua Sabert Lowther

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . You were not charged with a federal crime if you were taken to DeKalb County for court (the US Courthouse is in Atlanta). However, under Georgia law, the proceedings generally must be held in the county in which the crime was committed, and a small portion of the City of Atlanta is in DeKalb County. I understand your concern, because unless the situation has changed since I practiced in state courts there 14 years ago, Fulton County is a much more friendlier venue than DeKalb.

Joshua Sabert Lowther, Esq.
    NATIONAL FEDERAL DEFENSE GROUP
    jlowther@nationalfederaldefense.com
    http://www.NationalFederalDefense.com
    866.380.1782

2. Phillip Darrell Kimbrell

4

Answered . Atlanta is a city whose boundaries lie in two counties, Fulton & DeKalb. Depending upon which part of Atlanta you were in when you arrested will determine which county your case will be heard ..... Unless it is a traffic matter then it will be heard in the Atlanta Municipal Court. Feel free to contact me should you need more guidance or counsel. With regards,

P Darrell Kimbrell

3. Mark P. Maciolek

3

1

Answered . This is a matter of state law, not federal. Dekalb and Atlanta are in the same federal district. Sounds like you have a state case. That's probably a good thing.