I was charged and I have been abroad for 10 years. What could happen if I were to return to the US? What should I do?

Dallas, TX |

S 22.021. AGGRAVATED SEXUAL ASSAULT. (a) A person
commits an offense: (B) intentionally or knowingly:
(i) causes the penetration of the anus or
sexual organ of a child by any means;

Aggravated sexual assault of a child is an extremely serious offense. What should you do? Probably a good start would be to contact a Texas criminal defense lawyer for representation NOW so that if this case is not well founded, it can be addressed and perhaps resolved. Certainly this is a charge that nearly all countries with extradition treaties with the USA would return you to the USA to face, so it still follows you outside of the USA.

There are many excellent attorneys available through avvo listings and other sources who might be able to advise you on how to proceed. For more general information on the criminal justice system in Texas, you may wish to visit my firm's website, http://www.epjlaw.com.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.

2. You will be arrested, extradited to the county that filed the case, and prosecuted for the offense.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.