I was charged and I have been abroad for 10 years. What could happen if I were to return to the US? What should I do?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

commits an offense: (B) intentionally or knowingly:
(i) causes the penetration of the anus or
sexual organ of a child by any means;

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Aggravated sexual assault of a child is an extremely serious offense. What should you do? Probably a good start would be to contact a Texas criminal defense lawyer for representation NOW so that if this case is not well founded, it can be addressed and perhaps resolved. Certainly this is a charge that nearly all countries with extradition treaties with the USA would return you to the USA to face, so it still follows you outside of the USA.

    There are many excellent attorneys available through avvo listings and other sources who might be able to advise you on how to proceed. For more general information on the criminal justice system in Texas, you may wish to visit my firm's website, http://www.epjlaw.com.

    Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No... more
  2. Macy Michelle Jaggers


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You will be arrested, extradited to the county that filed the case, and prosecuted for the offense.

    Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,004 answers this week

3,137 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,004 answers this week

3,137 attorneys answering