I was charged 500, my refund was sent to the agent and the agent took 1300 and failed to file for state. what can i do?

Asked almost 2 years ago - San Tan Valley, AZ

she did my taxes from florida and had my refund sent to her on a pre-paid card. the company number that was on the federal paperwork was disconnected. basically this is clearly FRUAD, but what exactly can i do ?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Clint Spencer Dunaway


    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This does sound like you were the victim of a crime. In addition to contacting the attorney general you should file a police report. You probably aren't this criminal's only victim and with the help of the authorities you may be able to recover some of the money that was stolen from you.

  2. Philip Brecht

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would go to the attorney general in your state. But, at the end of the day, you, and many others, need to start using reputable and professional return preparers. I wish the IRS's proposed regulation of return preparers was upheld, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

    This is not legal or tax advice or opinions. I am not your lawyer. I do not have the facts necessary to give you... more
  3. Bruce Givner

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Clint and Philip have given you excellent advice: complain to the police and to the State Attorney General. Unfortunately, I have tried to help taxpayers in this type of situation who, from out of California, used rip-off artists in California, and we got nowhere. So, as the other lawyers advised, the best defense is to use a good quality firm in the first place.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,005 answers this week

3,461 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,005 answers this week

3,461 attorneys answering