I was caught stealing from walmart and giving a court date.

Las Vegas, NV |

I was caught stealing from walmart, they found a few sodas and candy in my bag and my friends bag, they took a picture of us and then they made us fill out a Municipal court paper, it says for Petit Larceny, under NRS 205.240 and I had to sign to promise to be in court on that date, no fine yet. Just wondering what I should be expecting when I get into court, are they going to fine me, will they show the camera tapes, it is my first charge, I have never had a ticket before, and I am 18 years old.

1. Your first court date will be an arraignment. You will be advised of the charges, your trial rights, address bail, and court appointed counsel if you qualify. You really should retain a criminal defense attorney now. Do not let this theft ruin your future. Look for altnatives that result in a dismissal.

My response to your question is a generic response and should not be construed as controlling to your case. I can not effectively advise about your case without knowing all the facts. Additionally, my response does not create an attorney-client relationship. You can contact my office to schedule an appointment if you would like to have me represent you.

2. You should really look for a good lawyer. You may be able to be placed into a program that will not result in a conviction. However, a program like this is only worth the effort if you are resolved to stay "CLEAN" and out of trouble.

3. Many times in your particular court, the Prosecutor will discuss with your attorney the possibility of a resolution that allows you to have the charges dismissed. If the charge is dismissed, under Nevada law, you could have the matter sealed from your record - very important. You should discuss your options with an attorney and do so BEFORE the initial court date.