I was caught stealing from my former employer.

Asked almost 3 years ago - Houston, TX

I was caught stealing certain devices that total up to 2000 at my former employer I was termitated. then I talked to the officer serving my case and I admitted to all that I stole. This is my first offense I have never ever ever been in trouble with the law. What could I be facing? I dont want to go to jail I am sorry for what I done, and extremely scared.

1. Kyle Timothy Therrian

1

Best Answer

Answered . Based on that amount, you could be charged with a State Jail Felony. The range of punishment is 180 days in jail and up to 2 years in a State Jail. Additionally, you could be fined in an amount up to $10,000. The normal process is for the Sheriff to submit his report to the District Attorney and the District Attorney to present the case to a grand jury. If a grand jury determines that there is enough evidence to prosecute you, that will initiate a criminal case before a district court. When this happens, normally a warrant will issue for your arrest along with a setting of a bond that you may post to be released while the case is pending. Eventually, you or an attorney will have the ability to enter plea negotiations with a prosecutor. Most prosecutors would offer probation with an underlying jail sentence and some would offer a deferred adjudication which keeps the case from turning to a conviction if you complete all the terms of your probation.

2. Richard Timothy Jones

1

Answered . You are looking at 6 months to 2 years in state jail. As this is a first offense you would mostly likely get offered deferred adjudication.

3. Joshua Zientek

1

Answered . Many of the previous answers are very informative. The only thing that I could add, is that if you would like to read more about the offense, you can read the following links:
    http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/PE/h...
    Good luck. I highly recommend either hiring a lawyer or if you cannot afford one, then ask the court to appoint.

4. Herbert J Tan

1

Answered . Find a good local criminal law attorney.

Herbert Tan, Esq.
    E-mail: Herbert@tanlaws.com
    Website: www.tanlaws.com

The National Newark Building
    744 Broad Street, 16th Fl.
    Newark, New Jersey 07102
    (973) 735-2681 (W)
    (973) 735-2682 (F)

Manhattan Office
    305 Broadway, 14th Floor
    New York, New York 10007
    (888) TAN-LAWS