I was caught stealing at walmart in las vegas nv worth 25 dollars they didnt file a report on me or call the cops

Las Vegas, NV |

but they might send me a letter how much will i be fined for 25 dollars

1. If cops were not called and no complaint was filed with the authorities, and there was no court case filed by the prosecutor [who is the only one that can "press charges"], there is no fine.
    Many states now have statutes permitting retail stores to sue for their daamges as aresult of the petty theft . I generally tell clients to ignaore the demand as the store cannot prove damages. The pos people are there even if you are not and they get the item back.

The above is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.

2. They store might seek to press charges against you if it files a complaint with the police/district (city) attorneys' office. You are not out of the woods yet. If the city/state brings charges against you, it will be for petty larceny.

The information contained on this site is in no way intended to be offered as legal advice and is provided for informational purposes only. Use of this site does not create an attorney-client relationship between Michael B. Lee, P.C. and yourself. You should not use or rely upon the information on this site in any material way without consulting an attorney licensed to practice law in the relevant jurisdiction. The information contained on this site is general in nature and may not be applicable or accurate when appplied to your specific situation. By your use of this site, you specifically release, indemnify and hold harmless Michael B. Lee, P.C. from any and all claims arising from your use of this site.

3. The State of Nevada has a law found at Nevada Revised Statute (NRS 597.860) that allows for a civil penalty of from $100.00 to $250.00 plus the value of the merchandise if not recovered. However, many merchants will only send out demand letters for the civil fine to try and get people to pay without going to court. In order to enforce the civil fine for shoplifting they would have to file an action in the Justice Court in the Township where the alleged shoplifting occurred.

The Nevada Revised Statutes also require that a misdemeanor occur in the presence of a police officer. The policy for Las Vegas Metro is to be called on a shoplifting and have store security sign the citation as a citizen's complaint since the offense would have been in the presence of store security. Since you were not detained for the police to come it is unlikely that they would now try to charge you with a misdemeanor theft.

The information shared in this e-mail does not constitute an attorney-client relationship and you should consult with a local attorney in your city where you can share confidential matters and receive a full evaluation of your legal situation.