I was caught shoplifting in wal mart and then let go can they issue a warrent for my arrest and or call my parents??

Tulsa, OK |

Ok i was at wal mart and i tried to take a few thing it was a movie and some gloves. All this happened last year around october i think. I was approached by security and ask to go to the back when i got there they told me they saw me and they wanted the stuff back and they searched my bag and took back the things and they made me fill out some paper work and said the next time im caught i would be arrested and since then i have not stolen from them. this was in tulsa Ok. I now live in florida and havnt been to a wal mart in a long time but i got a voice mail from my brother saying my dad wanted to talk to me about shoplifting

In order to thoroughly answer your question, you will have to provide your age. Also, you must provide the date of the offense in case the your statute of limitations bars the prosecution from bringing the specific claim against you. I would contact a local attorney in your area since many provide a free consultation.

This answer is provided as a public service and as a general response to a general question, it is not meant, and should not be relied upon as specific legal advice, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship.

I was 18 at the time and also the letter says the date was 9/27/2012

Adam Yarussi

Adam Yarussi

I believe the statute of limitations for petit larceny is three-years. Also, the statute will toll (stop running) during any time the suspect has fled the state of Oklahoma or has taken up residency in another state. Therefore, if a suspect commits petit larceny in Oklahoma and immediately goes to another states and remains there, the statute will never run out on that suspect until he or she returns to the state. I would strongly recommend consulting an experienced criminal defense attorney in your local area.

so what does that mean basically?? I have heard before that when people get a civil demand letter (which is what i got) that you can ignore it and after the second or third letter they stop. I know they can prosecute but from all i have read it is very rare that they do.

will that not happen because i am in another state??

also my leaving oklahoma wasn't immediate i left in december and i just got the letter this past week

Adam Yarussi

Adam Yarussi

Well to to make it simple, the prosecutor in the county where the crime occurred, can bring a claim within three years from the date the incident happened. But if you leave the state, the clock will stop ticking so it will won't start running again until you return to Oklahoma. I'm speaking criminally of course. Civil litigation is a whole different ball game.

Adam Yarussi

Adam Yarussi

Typo. If you leave the state, the clock will stop ticking and will not run out of time until you return. Assuming the prosecutor even decides to bring charges if Walmart wanted to press criminal charges.

Shoplifting topics