I was caught shoplifting in Utah, how long will this be on my criminal record?

Asked about 1 year ago - Salt Lake City, UT

Was caught shoplifting in Utah, and was sued for the amount of 200 dollars from the retailer. Also, I have a court date that I have not yet set. This happened yesterday (10/21). Would it be possible to have this expunged from my record or will it always be shown?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen W. Neeley


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you are convicted, it will be on your record until you expunge it. You cannot expunge a class B misdemeanor until four years after you are off probation. Please contact a lawyer ASAP. Many times, things can be worked out so that it comes off your record sooner.

  2. James Janghoon Lee

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with the above attorney. In addition, depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to dismiss it, amend the charge, or get a plea in abeyance. In each of these scenarios you may be able to expunge the case even sooner than four years.

  3. Catherine Cleveland


    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . I respectfully disagree with Mr. Lee, a Plea in Abeyance will only extend your time to have it expunged. You would be better off trying to plead the charge to an infraction or Class C and pleading guilty. If you pay your fine the day your sentenced, the required waiting time for expungement begins that day.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,929 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,929 answers this week

3,344 attorneys answering