I was caught shoplifting in Utah, how long will this be on my criminal record?

Salt Lake City, UT |

Was caught shoplifting in Utah, and was sued for the amount of 200 dollars from the retailer. Also, I have a court date that I have not yet set. This happened yesterday (10/21). Would it be possible to have this expunged from my record or will it always be shown?

If you are convicted, it will be on your record until you expunge it. You cannot expunge a class B misdemeanor until four years after you are off probation. Please contact a lawyer ASAP. Many times, things can be worked out so that it comes off your record sooner.

So the minimum would be at least 4 years?

I agree with the above attorney. In addition, depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to dismiss it, amend the charge, or get a plea in abeyance. In each of these scenarios you may be able to expunge the case even sooner than four years.

I respectfully disagree with Mr. Lee, a Plea in Abeyance will only extend your time to have it expunged. You would be better off trying to plead the charge to an infraction or Class C and pleading guilty. If you pay your fine the day your sentenced, the required waiting time for expungement begins that day.

Shoplifting topics