I was caught shoplifting but was not arrested

Asked over 2 years ago - Bakersfield, CA

i was caught at target i barely left the store as i was turning around to go back in the store to pay for the merchandise because i just feltt i couldnt do it the security comes surronding me i willingly give up my purse and calmly walk with the security officers i cooperated and they had me sign a paper saying i was banned for a year i kept apologizing .. the amount i stole came up to 64$ even the cops didnt show up and i was not arrested they told me they would fine me plus the police would fine me then i left what will happen now please help me i have no criminal record what so ever

1. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

1

1

Answered . Even if you weren't arrested, the police will most probably be notified of this. The fine the Target sends to you in the may, does not need to be paid, as no one can force you to pay anything unless they have a judgment against you. In order for Target to get a judgment against you by taking you to court. I have never seen that done, and then and only then should you pay their Civil Demand.

However, the criminal case is much different. if convicted of the crime of Petty Theft (Shoplifting) you will most likely have to pay a fine to the court. However, you do not want a criminal record.

Feel free to read my guide by following this link, it should give you some more insight. http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/petty-thef...

If you would like a free consultation, please feel free to call me. I would be glad to go over all your options with you.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.zarabilaw.com
    213-612-7720

2. Michael Charles Doland

Answered . If you get a civil demand letter in the mail, it does not mean you have to pay. It's over. Banned for a year is all.