I was caught shoplifting at kohls - not arrested- but the lawyer called

Bronx, NY |

I was caught shoplifting at kohls two month ago, they didn't arrest me but was told that I had to pay back. The lawyers called today and asked my mother my day of birth to confirm some information. She is not fluent in English so they are calling back tomorrow.
Whats going to be the next step? is a normal procedure to call?

Am I'm going to get arrested? is the first time that this happened and I learned my lesson Thank you for replying. If is not normal, whats going on?

1. It's not normal. I would recommend you not answer abd ket them send whatever they want in writing!

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

2. I agree with Mr. Lo Piccolo and would not give the information by phone.
    Further, a civil demand letter does not require payment unless it is followed by a civil lawsuit. There is less than a 1% chance of this happening.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

3. Don't give them any information. I have heard of these lawyers both writing and calling . I always wrie a letter to them for my clients instructing them not to communicate with my clients; they are required to comply under the ethics rules. Hire a lawyer to write a letter for you. You will not be arrested.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.