I was caught shoplifting, paid a fine in court, but I wasn't arrested. Will this go on my record?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dexter, ME

This was my first offense, my record was clean before this happened, I just don't know if this went on my record or not.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Luke S Rioux

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It is most definitely on your record as a theft conviction and will be there for the rest of your life. Unless there is a successful appeal, post conviction review, other proceeding or pardon that removes it. Those things are vanishingly unlikely.

    Maine criminal defense attorney|more
  2. Richard Timothy Jones

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you entered a plea, then it will be on your record.

    Austin Theft Lawyer

    My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client... more
  3. Ross Carl Goodman


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can petition to seal or expunge the conviction after the statutory waiting period.

    The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The... more
  4. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If you were cited for theft, went to court and plead guilty and were sentenced to a fine, of course it is on your record. I assume you didn't have an attorney. If you want the matter reviewed, to see if you have any options to revisit the plea, hire an attorney ASAP. Time is not your friend. Act now.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,103 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,103 answers this week

3,148 attorneys answering