Skip to main content

I was burned by a faulty compress with scalding hot water while in the hospital, what should I do?

Springfield, MO |

I had been admitted into the hospital for an abscess, the aids had been filling up what should have been an ice pack with hot water from the coffee machine. After filling it for the third time, it busted and left me with burns down my left arm and is blistered severely. After the incident, a security officer took my report but I was never actually seen by a doctor for the burns. The nurses called my oral surgeon and he called in a topical cream without even seeing the burns.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Go to the ER or your doctor and get treatment immediately. Then, a local personal injury lawyer to pursue. You can read about burn injuries and our burn injury settlements on my website. Good luck to you.

    The answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is for informational purposes only.

    Lassen Law Firm
    1515 Market St #1510
    Philadelphia, PA 19102

    Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755

  2. I am sorry this has happened, it sounds very unpleasant. If you feel you are injured seek treatment right away. However, to fully advise you of your potential causes of action I would need more facts. I practice all over Missouri and would be happy to discuss the case in more detail.

    ***PLEASE NOTE: My response to this question and any other question in this forum are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. My answer to this question should be viewed as general in nature and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements***

  3. It sounds like negligence on the part of the hospital if they were filling up an ice bag with scalding water. I agree that you should seek medical attention and then contact a personal injury attorney near where you live. The severity of your injuries and the amount of treatment and medical bills you have directly affects the value of your case. Therefore, it is critical that you seek the appropriate medical attention.

    All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Our office only represents plaintiffs in personal injury matters such as wrongful death, liquor liability accidents, dram shop cases, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries and other catastrophic injuries.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics