I was born in Vietnam , I got US citizen , now I would like have a dual citizenship , US and Vietnam , it that possible ?

San Jose, CA |
Filed under: Dual citizenship

I have been living a US for 30 years , recent years . I have been travel to Vietnam for business , I am interested to apply Vietnamese citizen legally , ( Dual citizenship ) is any illegal ?

1. You need to check with the local Vietnamese Consulate.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

2. Here's the Dept. of State's take on dual nationality: 'The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.'

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

3. That depends on the laws of Vietnam.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

4. The Vietnamese government's position is that all persons of Vietnamese heritage are Vietnamese citizens, regardless of where they are born, unless they take steps to renounce their Vietnamese citizenship.

You likely are still a Vietnamese citizen.

While overseas Vietnamese persons are Vietnamese citizens, there are still a distinction by the local Vietnamese governments between persons living in Vietnam and living outside.

The US government cannot prohibits its citizens from having other citizenship besides US. US citizens cannot do certain things (such as taking arms against the US on behalf of another government or serving in a high government position of another country).