I was bitten by a dog 03-24-2014

Millersburg, OH |

I had to go to the Emergency Room for treatment and for follow up care. The dog bite is on my right leg, and it is swollen, bruised, has three deep puncture wounds. ER Treatment includes very strong antibiotics and wound treatment. I was contacted today by the dog owners insurance company and I was wondering if I should contact an attorney because I don't know what a fair offer would be, when he makes one.

Unless you immediately contact a reputable personal injury attorney in your area to investigate and deal with the liable party's insurance you'll be "short changed" any way you look at it. It would be foolish of you to want to deal with this yourself. An experienced (and feared) PI lawyer can obtain a much, much better settlement for you.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Insurance companies love to deal with folks who aren't represented by an attorney. You absolutely need the assistance of a personal injury attorney to assist you in getting a fair settlement for your injuries. Personal injury attorneys typically handle cases on a contingency fee basis and give free consultations. Use the Find a Lawyer tab on Avvo to find one in your area. Best of luck to you...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

Yes, consult with a personal injury attorney in your city. Find one on Avvo.com. It is way too soon to even contemplate settlement. You must heal completely first. You also need to see if there are any permanent scarring.

You have answered your own question. You are not going to be sure what is fair and a lawyer is going to have knowledge and experience in this area.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal problems and solutions depend on their unique facts. Due to the complexity and ever-changing nature of the law and to the limitations of this forum, this information may not be complete or adequate for your specific situation. Laws and regulations often differ from one jurisdiction to another. Mark E. Barbour practices in the State of Ohio.

You should definitely consult with an experienced Ohio personal injury attorney. First and foremost, get all of the treatment recommend by your doctor(s). You should also take photos of the wounds and subsequent scars. Dog bite claims can be more complex than they seem and often have a higher settlement value that people would assume. Most insurers will try to buy you off quickly by offering a thousand dollars plus your medical expenses. Don’t fall victim to that trick, your claim is likely much more valuable.
You will quickly run into issues of who is paying for your medical treatment. Most assume that the dog owner’s insurer will pay their bills as they are incurred, but that is generally not true. It is likely that your own health insurance will need to cover your immediate care expenses and you may then have an obligation to repay your health insurance company from any amounts you received from the dog owner's insurance. There are many other important issues with which an experienced Ohio injury attorney can assist you. Generally, these cases are taken on a contingent fee basis, which means you would not be required to pay any upfront fees. Lastly, I would encourage you not to communicate directly with the dog owners insurance company. Retain experienced counsel, someone in Ohio with a 10.0 Avvo rating, and let them handle this matter for you. Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Dennis Wayne Tackett

Dennis Wayne Tackett

Very well stated.

Hi, sorry to hear about your recent injury. I hope you are feeling better and that it's not something serious. To answer your question, yes you should speak with a lawyer. It is always a good idea to speak with a lawyer before entering into a settlement with an insurance company. You want to know what your rights are before speaking with the insurance company and depending on your claim, you may need to hire that lawyer to represent you.

Animal law topics