Skip to main content

I was biten by a dog and the dog owner is claiming to not have insurance, what can be done?

Columbus, OH |

I was attacked by a dog while running through a neighborhood. The dog came out of a garage and across the road to the other side where I was running and attacked me. The owner came out of the garage and yelled for the dog who eventuallly let go and when back to him. When the paramedics arrived at the scene, the owner said his insurance was up to date and gave us his name, phone, address, etc. but no insurance information. Later when we contacted him about it he said it wasn't his but it was rental insurance through his girlfriends name through State Farm. We asked him to provide the policy number and he called back 10 minutes later to say "nevermind we dont have any, if you want to sue me then sue me" and hung up. Is there anything we can do to try and get this info?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Take him up on his advice and sue him. Also sue his girlfriend too since she may come under the statute. You should consult with an attorney and file suit. If there is insurance, they will defend. Your attorney will then be able to find out the company's name and limits.

Attorney Sternberg is admitted to the practice of law only in the State of Ohio. His answering of this question does not constitute an attorney client relationship, nor can his answer be relied on since the question does not permit Attorney Sternberg to seek additional information necessary to render an legal opinion.


There are some services that plaintiff's attorneys use to find out insurance information, but in your case, its advisable to file a lawsuit against the individual and his girlfriend in your local common pleas court. Should he or she have insurance, they will contact their insurer in order to get legal representation. Should they not have insurance, they'll need to contact an attorney to provide them with representation. Either way, you'll be taking control of the situation and doing what is necessary to get proper compensation for your injuries.

Speaking with a personal injury attorney in your area will allow you to understand your proper measure of damages. Most, if not all injury attorneys will agree to consult with you for free and will take your case on a contingency basis, never charging you an hourly fee.

I am available to speak with you about your options, should you desire to give me a call.

Disclaimer: This does not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship has been formed through this answer.


I agree with my colleagues - sue him and his girlfriend. However, keep in mind that if they do not have insurance and you win a judgment you may never collect the judgment. Winning a judgment and collecting a judgment are two entirely different things.

You should speak with a local attorney for guidance.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer