I was being a designated driver for a friend and accidentally knocked the side mirror off...?

Woodbridge, VA |

While acting as a designated driver for a friend, I accidentally knocked off her right side mirror on a small not very visible pole placed by a landlord next to the driveway. Since I was doing her a favor, am I completely at fault? And could I possibly ask for money from the landlord? Also does it matter that she has waited 3 months to finally approach me about the situation?

You should pay to fix the mirror

Ben Glass is licensed in Virginia. He offers a number of free consumer book downloads at his site for information purposes only. You should consult an experienced, board certified attorney in your area. Obviously, no attorney client relationship is formed by participating in Avvo.

Despite your doing a favor at the time, you are still responsible for the damaged mirror.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Yes, based on the facts it appears you are liable. You should pay for the mirror.

I concur that you are the person responsible for and liable for the mirror. Blaming or trying to place the blame on anyone else in this matter is a fruitless effort. Perhaps the reason your friend waited so long was that she kept hoping that you would approach her; instead, she had to approach you.

Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The response herein is general legal and business analysis.. It is not intended nor construed to be "legal advice" but rather it is analysis, and different lawyers may analyze this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Fix your friend's mirror.