I was backing up out of a parking space on a way street and backed into a car going the wrong way, who is at fault?

Saginaw, TX |

Parking lots are angled and one way. Car coming the wrong way down the lot. We collided as I was pulling out since I could not see them at the angle

No report/witnesses/no alcohol. Each "lane" in the parking lot is marked with an arrow at each end indicating the direction. The parking spaces are also angled the direction of the arrows ( / LC /A / / ) Car A was backing out and Car B was traveling the wrong way down the lane. The cars collided as Car A could not see Car B. There was large car next to Car A and upon backing out the two cars collided. Car A could not see past the large car to the left. Who's in the fault?

Did you get a police report? Are there witnesses? Was anyone drunk? Is there a videotape? These things depend on specifics greatly, as a collision is not a collision, they are all unique.

Are you being sued for personal injury? If so talk with a local lawyer offline ASAP.

Statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section are not legal advice. No prudent person anywhere at any time should ever rely upon any statements posted on the Avvo Q&A section. There is no attorney-client privilege based on this interaction. I am not your attorney and there is no attorney-client privilege up until the moment that we have a signed engagement letter with a clear understanding regarding fees - at which point we will not be discussing your legal issue online on a public Q&A board that anyone in the world can view. You should find an attorney that can best represent your interests: using the Avvo lawyer search is one of many possible utilities online to collect names of lawyers you might be interested in meeting with offline to discuss your legal issue in full detail so the legal advice can be tailored to the specific facts of your legal issue.

No report/witness, etc. Not being sued. Trying to determine fault since Car B was driving the wrong way in a lane marked at both ends with an arrow

Your question is unclear. Often times, parking lots do not have clear designations as to proper direction of travel. You should turn the matter over to your insurance company for coverage and defense. That being said, you should always yield the right-of-way to oncoming traffic when backing out a parking space. However, if the other vehicle was traveling the wrong way on a one way street, there would likely be comparative liability attributed to one or both of the parties. If the other vehicle was traveling properly on the roadway, the vehicle backing out of the parking space would likely be at fault for the accident. There is no way to know for sure without a proper investigation regarding the details of the accident. Your insurance company will do an investigation.

The devil is, as usual, in the details. Expand your question with more facts and consult a local lawyer who knows the lot and street where you had the collision. Good luck.

Robert Bruce Kopelson

Robert Bruce Kopelson

agreed

Avvo lawyers can't determine fault from a posting, so report it to your insurance company to sort out.