I was awarded attorney fees because the ex filed a malicious lawsuit. The ex won't pay them and my attorney says I have to.

Asked 5 months ago - Boise, ID

Can the attorney collect it from me? And how do I make her pay?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Scott Ross Learned

    Contributor Level 8


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Unless your attorney agreed to wait to receive payment from you, you agreed to pay the attorney and that is your obligation, so yes you owe the money absent some specific agreement to the contrary. However, if you received a judgment in the lawsuit, you should be able to execute on the judgment and collect money from your ex whether he wants to pay or not. You should discuss with your attorney (or perhaps a new one) what your rights are in this regard.

    This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case.... more
  2. Paula Brown Sinclair

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . Almost always an attorney fee award from the court is for reimbursement to the party for attorney's fees paid, not an order to pay directly the other party's attorney. You have a contractual obligation to pay your attorney. As a general rule a fee award is enforceable through the contempt powers of the court, but be award that impossibility is a valid defense to contempt. The fee award is also collectible as a judgment, and your attorney may be willing to assist in doing so but your attorney may be entitled to earn an additional fee for collection services.

    Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

    This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  3. Gary Ralph Ilmanen

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You owe your attorney the fees. The ex owes the fees to you. You will have to collect them from her. If the judgment includes fees, you can execute on it, or your attorney can take those steps.

    I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,848 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,848 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering