I was awarded a settlement in a Civil Case and my lawyer was in trusted to collect and never did and now he is no longer a lawye

Asked over 1 year ago - 44417

r what can I do?

1. Ruth Elaine McMahon

8

Answered . Please consult another attorney immediately. You don't say when the settlement was entered. I hope the settlement is still effective. Perhaps documents needed to be entered into the court record by a specific time. You do not say why your former lawyer is no longer a lawyer - but it could be because his license was suspended for doing things such as you describe. You need to make sure that your former lawyer did not collect; for if he did collect, he may have used the settlement for himself. Also, you can check with the State Bar in the State where you live and report this problem. Good luck.

2. William Emil Cassara

Pro

8

Answered . I agree with the previous response, and only add that when I worked for the Bar Association they had a robust program to assist people in situations like this. You should contact the state bar.

Pro

5

Answered . Contact the state bar, and they should resolve it.

4. Andrew A Esposito

3

Answered . I agree with the other posters. To be more specific you may want to try the Trumbull County Bar Association since that appears to be where you are located. The website is: http://www.tcba.net/. If you judgment is another county, you should search for contact information for that particular county's bar association.

5. Kenneth Lee LaBore

Pro

4

Answered . There is not much information. I would hire another attorney to contact the old attorney and insurance company and find out what happened and see if there is the possibility of pursuing and action. Time is of the essence in these matters so I recommend you contact another attorney immediately, you can find one on AVVO.