Skip to main content

I was awarded $5/mo restitution for the next 100 years for my injuries. Can I get more realistic monthly payment say $50 - $100?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I was awarded restitution by the judge in a criminal arson case due to my personal injury. The restitution was structured to have the defendant pay me $5 a month for the next 100 plus years. Obviously neither of us is going to live that long. So how can I get either the full amount of restitution paid in full or get the monthly payments raised to an amount that is more realistic? Even $100 per month would be acceptable to me. Is there anything I can do?

Attorney Answers 2


File a motion with the criminal court to have the restitution order reopened and redecided - that schedule is ridiculous. That said, do you know whether or not the person convicted has the ability to pay what it is you seek?

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



Thanks for the info I will do that. I have no idea if she can pay it or not. But I know for a fact i'm not going to live another 100 years.


I agree with the response of my colleague. I also agree that the restitution payment schedule is insane. I have never seen anything like that in my life.

If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. This answer is provided for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice and it does not create an attorney/client relationship. More importantly, the information contained in this answer should not be relied on. You should consult an attorney who practices in the relevant area of the relevant jurisdiction.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics