I was awarded $5/mo restitution for the next 100 years for my injuries. Can I get more realistic monthly payment say $50 - $100?

Asked about 2 years ago - Pittsburgh, PA

I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I was awarded restitution by the judge in a criminal arson case due to my personal injury. The restitution was structured to have the defendant pay me $5 a month for the next 100 plus years. Obviously neither of us is going to live that long. So how can I get either the full amount of restitution paid in full or get the monthly payments raised to an amount that is more realistic? Even $100 per month would be acceptable to me. Is there anything I can do?

1. Charles Anthony Rick

Answered . I agree with the response of my colleague. I also agree that the restitution payment schedule is insane. I have never seen anything like that in my life.

2. Michael J Corbin

1

Answered . File a motion with the criminal court to have the restitution order reopened and redecided - that schedule is ridiculous. That said, do you know whether or not the person convicted has the ability to pay what it is you seek?