I was awarded $10,000 plus $700 in Estate Probate Order. Is it possible for Personal Representative to use up all the money?

Minneapolis, MN |
Filed under: Probate Probate assets

The above award was on about a $100,000 probate estate and $300,000 non probate. This went to the court and I would just guess their lawyer fee was about $75,000 and Personal Rep. also likely will trump up charges which could exceed probate.. In case, opposition agreed to pay this money and judge awarded same. Since my case lost, my lawyer no longer avail. The $10,000 was I guess awarded on bad check from decedent or final payment to surviving spouse (me) and the $700 was for taxes I paid on property. Will Personal Rep. be required to pay me before they can close the Estate or was their offer to give me these payments a joke like everything else they have done and they just ignore me or tell me the estate is broke. I think Personal Rep will be unsupervised. What are my options?

This appears to be a duplicate of your other question. It sounds like you have a valid creditor claim that has been approved. Your priority would normally be right below the administrative expenses and above the rights of any of the estate beneficiaries.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

2. Why guess about anything? As a creditor (from you description) you have rights in the estate. I would ask that the Court provide you with notice of all matters filed in the estate.

Legal disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted to practice law in the State of Missouri only, and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to Missouri. This answer is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation, and is for promotional purposes only. You should never rely on this answer alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney-client relationship. less

Wills and estates topics