I was attacked, filed charges, he admitted it, jailed over night, but plead not guilty. Should I proceed, even if I can't win?

Asked about 1 year ago - Mayfield, KY

I have no record. He's been arrested at least 7 times. He admitted to the officer that he did indeed assault me, he claims I was trying to rob him. He was charged with 4th degree domestic violence and his arraignment was today. He plead not guilty and wants a trial. He had 3 friends in the house and I had only just met them all, a few hours earlier. His friends will say that his story of asking me to leave 3 times before he assaulted me is true, I'm sure. However... it didn't have anything to do with robbery. They were abusing the young lady and I tried to protect her, so they jumped me. 3 men kicked and punched me as I lay in a heap on the floor. It's my word against all of there's.. should I bother trying to get justice? I missed 4.5 days of work. And have been to the hospital twice.

1. Frank Mascagni III

4

Answered . If you are the victim of a crime, you have a right to prosecute the wrongdoer. Contact the prosecutors office and ask to be kept informed and appear at all court dates and advise you want to prosecute. Tell the prosecutor you now know the names of all wrongdoers.

2. Edward Brandon Beckham

4

Answered . I'm not sure if you are asking about the State pursuing a criminal action against him or if you are asking about pursuing a civil action against him? It doesn't really matter though; if you were violently and unlawfully attacked, then YES, seek justice.

3. Daniel Nelson Deasy

3

Answered . By justice, do you mean compensation for your missed work and the hospital visits? YES!

4. James Regan

Pro

2

1

Answered . Talk to the victim advocate at the prosecutor's office. Your words alone are enough to convict. Ask the advocate about counseling, too.

Educational purposes answer. | FACDL.org | NACDL.org | Defendme.net | twitter.com/JReganLLM | Non-privileged answer.