I was at fault for an accident while driving a company vehicle. How liable am I?

Asked about 2 years ago - Tucson, AZ

My wife and I were served today as defendants along with Sch**ns. I was at fault for failure to yield and the guy hit me going 40 to 45 mph. I no longer work for the company, but not due to the accident. I was laid off at a later date. I own nothing. The acccident happened 2 years ago. Am I liable for anything? I cannot afford an attorney. What do I do?

1. Gary A Kester

14

Answered . You say that you were at fault for the accident for failing to yeild. I assume you are saying that you were at fault because you recieved a citacion. The fact that a person was or was not cited is inadmissable in the civil proceedings. They will still have to prove that you failed to yield, they can not rely on the citacion. Having said that, the fact you were cited does not mean anything. You have an obligation to yeild to all vehicles within the intersection or so close to the intersection as to constitute an immediate hazard (citing ARS 28-772). If this person was so far away from you that you could not anticipate them being a danger that could be a defense. They could also have fault for the accident. Anyway, as you can see, we dont know if your liable. Since you were driving a company vehicle, it should have insurance. They will defend you in the accident so you do not need to worry about paying one. Contact that old employer, get their insurance information and contact them and provide them with the suit papers. If you still have the ticket perhaps the insurance information is listed on it. It is absolutely essential that you get this to the insurance company so they can defend you

2. John Gus Zgourides

14

Answered . You do not say what state this happened in. Chances are that the insurance company for your employer owes you defense and indemnity. Your personal attorney would likely advise you to forward a copy of the suit papers to your former employer, demanding that they turn the lawsuit over to their liability insurer and provide you with a defense attorney. Do not delay.

3. Mark A Kille

12

Answered . You should contact your automobile insurance company who insured you at the time of the collision. If your coverage was in force, it should provide you with counsel.

4. Bret A. Schnitzer

13

Answered . Your employer, if they are still in business will hire a lawyer that should defend both you and them. Since your employer is liable for the accident, they have much to lose if you are not protected. Contact your ex-employer and ask for them to direct you to the attorney/claims adjuster to protect your interests.

You should consult an attorney in your State at once.