I was at a group fitness class at the gym and got Injured, the MRI shows a herniated disc compressing the nerves,

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

Can I get compensation for my medical bills and disability time?

1. Todd J Stabinski

Pro

9

Answered . You may have a claim depending on what specifically caused your injury. There must be some sort of fault on the part of the gym and/or instructor. Keep in mind too that most gyms make you sign a waiver of liability which could prevent someone from suing them (depending on the language). Speak to an attorney.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

8

Answered . Is there someone or an entity to blame for your injuries? If so, conact a personal injury attorney to discuss your options.

3. Julie S Luhrsen

6

Answered . There are many more facts that would have to be considered as to whether you might be able to make a claim. Consult with a personal injury attorney (consultations are typically free). Hope this helps & best of luck.

4. Jesus Novo III

6

Answered . More information is needed, but usually with a serious injury such as yours, if you can prove negligence and causation, then there is a possibility for recovery. Contact a personal injury attorney for consultation.

5. Michael Lee Weimorts

6

Answered . It sounds as if your damages are substantial. Without more facts, however, it is impossible to make any determination about liability.

Can you give some more facts?

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  6. Josh P Tolin

7

Answered . If your injury was sustained while you were doing class, no. If there is something else in your fact pattern that you think was the cause of your injury, other than exercise, please edit.

7. Angelo Marino Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . I am sorry for your accident, but unfortuantely, you probably filed a waiver/release of responsiblity when you signed up with the ftiness club or class. First see if you did. If so, take that release to a personal injury lawyer to see if it will prevent your claim. If not, then tell me why the fitness class instructor was negligent which caused your injuries. Without negligence on the gym's part, no case

8. Arthur Collin Cherry

5

Answered . You probably filed a waiver/release of responsiblity when you signed up with the ftiness club or class. If you did sign a waiver or release, take that release to a personal injury lawyer to see if it is beatable. If you did not file a waiver/ release, then you will need to be able to explain how the fitness class instructor was negligent in a way that caused your injuries. Without negligence on the instructor or gym's part, you will not have a claim.

9. David Ian Schoen

Pro

5

Answered . It depends on how you were injured

Pro

5

Answered . You can certainly have a local personal injury lawyer investigate

11. Brett Miles Bressler

3

Answered . Just because you were injured does not mean someone has to pay your bills or compensate you. Exercise, walking, riding a bike, etc. are all activities that involve some type of risk. No risk, no reward. I suggest you seek excellent medical care, get better, and find a low impact exercise that you like, such as swimming, and develop a passion for that sport. Good luck!

12. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

1

Answered . In order to have a claim, you would need to show that your target Defendant had a duty owed to you which was breached and that the breach caused you the damages.

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.