Skip to main content

I was arrested in Tn for a Dui in Oct 2012 and this is my fifth court date..

Winchester, TN |

I was arrested for a Dui and hit and run(no one was injured) in Oct 2012 and submitted for a drug screen. The test results still aren't back yet! I'm moving to Florida before my next court date.How long can they drag this out (waiting on my blood test its almost a year)! 1. Is it alright for me to move? 2. Will I be able to get a Florida license and if so, if Tn decides to convict me will Fl. take my license? 3. I have no way to get back to TN, no friends or family there, and no where to live even if I could get back there. What are my possible punishments in Tn given that I would not be able to be there for jail, community service or probation?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    If you move, you'll either have to come back for the court date, or hire an attorney to appear for you. In addition, hiring a locally experienced DUI attorney in TN will give you the best chance of a positive outcome, including maintaining your license. An attorney may also be able to get you permission to fulfill any obligations you might have from FL. Good luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  2. Talk with your attorney about these questions. If you do not have one I would recommend talking with one as they will be able to answer your questions and guide you through the process. Good luck.

  3. You must have an attorney on this case. That person is in the best position to offer you advice on this issue.

  4. In all honesty you really should hire a lawyer to help you navigate the legal waters. The bottom line is you're looking at mandatory jail time and 11/29 probation for the DUI if convicted, not to mention the other misdemeanor hanging over your head as extra leverage for the State. In a situation as complex as yours, you have a litany of questions that will arise and you'll need consistent, sound legal advice from a lawyer in your corner. Yes, it's a hassle, but you'll be grateful you did.

  5. Call some of the Tennessee lawyers from the AVVO link below.

    Good Luck.

    Every case and situation is different and vary greatly depending on specific facts. My posts are not to be considered complete answers to each question. My posts do not constitute an attorney/client relationship. I am only licensed to practice in the State of Florida and in federal courts. Florida Bar #337821, admitted 1982.

  6. I'm sure that you're inclined to try to handle this on your own, but legal representation would be a phenomenal investment that could save you a lot of time and trouble in the future. If you can't find one on AVVO, then, I'd contact the local bar association (where your case is) for a referral.

    Andrew M. Bonderud, Esq. is an attorney The Bonderud Law Firm, P.A. He offers free consultations 24/7. You can reach him at 904-438-8082. Andrew's posting here is not to be considered legal advice nor does an attorney-client relationship exist.

  7. TBI blood results in Tennessee take about 6 weeks for only alcohol. Yes, it is ok to move but not to miss court dates. You still have to come to court. You may be able to get a FL DL but it will have restrictions that the TN DL has. Not coming to court is a contempt of court and they can revoke your bond and make you wait in jail until the case is closed. They will come and get you . Contact an attorney today

    Call 615-736-9596 for consultation. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics