I was arrested in Savannah GA for Criminal Trespass after I was kicked out of a bar. What type of sentencing can I expect.

Savannah, GA |

I was escorted out of the bar by the bouncer for being drunk. There were already cops on the road conducting normal monitoring of the street. The cop told me I needed to go home. He said I talk to him belligerently but apologized after. I tried to re enter the bar by showing the bouncer my ID to try to retrieve my credit card. The cop claimed I took an aggresive stance and refused to leave. He arrested and charged me with Class B Misd. Criminal trespass. I have a safety sensitive job and would prefer to have it reduced to something other than alcohol related as my records will be checked. My biggest question is what kind of sentencing could I expect for this where it is my first incident with the law? I got a alcohol eval and did the recommended course. Thanks for any info.

1. Criminal trespass is a misdemeanor. The maximum penalty for a misdemeanor is 12 mos in confinement and a minimum of a monetary fine. I highly suggest that you contact an attorney to represent you. He or she might be able to plea the matter to a county ordinance or some sort of diversion program.

The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the state of Georgia. Carl S. Cansino www.cpslawoffice.com

2. I agree with Mr. Cansino. Depending on the facts of your case and your prior criminal history, you may be able to negotiate a resolution that will not show up on your record. We handle these types of cases in Savannah regularly. We would be happy to speak with you about it.

This answer is not intended to be legal advice. This answer is general in nature and does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you wish to create an attorney-client relationship you should contact an attorney and formally discuss the specifics of your case.

3. You can get up to 12 months in jail and a fine of $1000. For the best and most favorable resolution of the matter, retain an attorney.

Darrell B. Reynolds, Sr.
    Attorney and Counselor at Law
    drey1954@cs.com
    404-636-6616

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    - William Shakespeare

NOTICE – 1) This email does not create an attorney/client relationship. In order to create an attorney/client relationship with this office it is necessary to enter into a written contract agreed to by both parties. 2) This email is intended only for the person(s) listed in the To: and CC: lines. It is not intended for anyone else and any reliance upon this email by other parties is at their own peril. 3) This e-mail, and all attachments transmitted with it, may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information that is intended solely for the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, then you are not authorized to read, distribute, copy, or otherwise use any or all portions of this e-mail or any attachment. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail or by telephone at 1-404-636-6616, and delete all copies of this e-mail. Thank you.

4. As stated previously, you can get up to 12 months in jail and a $1000 fine, but you more than likely will get a probationary sentence or a suspended sentence. Then again your sentence depends on what court your case is in. It could either be in Recorders Court or State Court. You may want it to be resolved before it gets to State Court. And yes, you should get a lawyer,

Receipt of this communication does not necessarily create an attorney/client relationship. Absent an express attorney/client agreement, the contents of this communication are for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

5. The charge is a Misdemeanor in Georgia. That means it carries the possibility of up to 12 months in Jail and a fine. I would recommend that you retain an attorney in Savanna that has criminal experience to represent you. This type of charge will not be unusual in Savanna and there may be options that would allow the charge to be resolved without there being a conviction on your record. A local Savanna Criminal Defense Attorney should be familiar with all of the available options. Good Luck and I hope this doesn't adversely affect your job.
    George McCranie www.mccranielawfirm.com

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.