I was arrested in New Orleans for an outstanding warrant in Texas, is it normal to have a bond in both states?

Asked over 1 year ago - Grapevine, TX

I was arrested on 5/12 the last day of my honeymoon cruise in New Orleans for a warrant out of Texas. ($2000 bond - Sec Exec Doc Dec 1500 -20k). Texas advised Harbor Police they wanted to extradite; they took me to New Orleans Parish Prison to wait for Texas. I went to court on the 12th and the New Orleans Judge raised my bond to $30,000 (for fraud). I finally went back to court on the 15th to sign extradition papers and Texas was finally contacted. The conditions and treatment were inhumane. Transportation agents arrived on the 19th and I was back in Texas on 5/22; shortly released on a Pre-trial bond for $60. I have no prior arrests/clean background.

My court appointed Attorney and Tarrant County personnel were all shocked and unaware of the events that had taken place.

1. Keith Robert Hall

Pro

Answered . Often time when someone is arrested for an out-of-state warrant they will be charged by the arresting state with being a "fugitive" and a bail must be posted. Generally this charge will be dismissed if the arrestee posts the bond, and returns to the state that originally initiated the warrant and appears in court. This can be rather complicated, and you should consult with an attorney in each state to ensure that you are in compliance with both jurisdiction's laws.