I was arrested in Manhattan for using senior metro card. The police officer accused me of stealing the card and got me arrested

New York, NY |

I was arrested in Manhattan for using a senior metro card. The police officer accused me of stealing the card and got me arrested . I didn't steal the card, the person who owns this card can confess. The other police officer wanted to just give me a ticket but the other one really wanted to arrest me even though I had no tickets before, no criminal record. I even said that I was not intending to use that card because I had my own card in my wallet but they didn't want to listen. I believe I was wrongfully arrested and the officer was really intimidating. I am still in a state of shock. I understand that they had the right to give me a ticket but were they really allowed to arrest me for something like that?

1. It depends on what the arrest charge was. If it was only fair eating, they usually just give a ticket. If they thought you were in possession of stolen property, they would usually arrest you and take you to court. They could arrest for fair eat if they desired, but most commands discourage taking cops off the street for extended periods for small matters. You should hi an experienced attorney.

2. If it's not your carf and you are not a senior you are properly charged with theft of services. There are ways to beat the case so hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

3. Contact an attorney right away.

The information provided herein is for informational purposes and should not be construed to establish an attorney client relationship. To establish such a relationship, the prospective client would need to meet with me in person, and have a detailed discussion about all the facts and circumstances surrounding your case.