I was arrested in Georgia for driving on a suspended license. My license are from Florida.

Newnan, GA |

I forgot to pay a traffic ticket from Alabama when I was still living in GA. I was issued a citation in Florida on that suspension and resolved it. I then I switched to a Florida license., this was in 2008. I recently was in GA where I received another traffic violation and once again didn't remember to pay it. After that I was pulled over and arrested for driving on suspended license, FTML, and misdemeanor marijuana charges. Is there anyway to defend this so that I am not put in jail for 10 days?

You need to get a lawyer if you want to successfully negotiate your way out of that jail time. No time is "mandatory," but FTA's, especially a habit of them, makes it pretty easy for the judge to make an example of you.
Please also remember that the weed charge is going to drastically affect your license and privilege to drive. Any VGCSA (drug) charge in GA affects your DDS record and you need to handle this right, or you are gonna be on the bis for the foreseeable future.
This is the time where you need to invest in a serious, experienced, local lawyer. If you pay less than a grand you are just getting ripped off and it should be more like 2-4K by the time you are done from what it sounds like.
Newnan has some great practitioners and I would call friends for some recommendations.
Good Luck!

Hey Look, A Disclaimer. And it is kind of witty. Kind of. To wit: Information Provided SHOULD NOT be relied upon as binding legal advice as no advice can be reliable unless a full review of all facts has been conducted. No attorney-client relationship exists unless there is a signed retainer between the parties. My Firm does not offer ANY tax advice. The Most Costly and Expensive Advice you will ever get is from a Cheap Lawyer. Do yourself a favor and interview several lawyers before choosing the one that works best for you. Remember, Bad Lawyers make all their money through marketing. Good Lawyers make all their money by winning cases.

Any recommendations for what I can do as far as legal aid? I am a waitress and live by the skin of my teeth and have no money for an attorney.

Joshua G. Schiffer

Joshua G. Schiffer

You will qualify for public defense, but if there ever was a tie to beg/borrow, this is it. The PD is never going to have the time and resources to handle a multi jurisdictional issue like yours. I love the PDs, and used to be one, but they are oung to be tied to just one case. A private lawyer will get you a global solution.

Your circumstances seem a little more complex than what can be simply answered here. Bottom line - get yourself an attorney ASAP to try and get things worked out.
Regards,
M. Jason Rhoades

Yes. And if you hire a good attorney like myself or any of the others here an Avvo, it is likely to work out so that you don't get convicted on the DWSL charge, and so that there is no suspension(and no jail time) based on the Marijuana charge.

Do so "sooner, rather than later."

Thanks for reading my response to this question. If your found this answer "Helpful" or "The Best Answer" PLEASE MARK IT, because Avvo awards me points. Thank you! Note that the questioner and any reader do not have an attorney-client relationship formed by our communications on this website. Advice given by me on this website is general advice based on partial information. You should not rely on any advice given without first hiring a lawyer in the area where the case is pending, and providing that lawyer with full information.

Traffic tickets topics