I was arrested in Chelsea, MA when I was 17 for stealing a car and have defaulted court since. I live Nevada now. What to do?

Asked about 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

1. Is the warrant still active from 1997? if it has been 16 years ago.
2. Do I have to go back to clear this warrant? Or can a defense attorney have it removed for me?
3. How likely is this matter to be dismissed? If it is since 1997
4. Do I hire an attorney from Nevada or a long distance attorney from Chelsea,

1. Robert A. Stumpf

2

Answered . 1) Warrants don't really expire generally.
    2) It would be a good idea.
    3) Hard to say.
    4) I would call an attorney in Mass.

2. Benjamin J Lieberman

2

Answered . Warrants don't just go away with the simple passage of time. It is probably still active which technically means you can be arrested at any time. Generally speaking you would have to go back to court to clear the warrant but in some jurisdictions depending on what the charge is for an attorney may be able to resolve the matter without your personal appearance. Whether the case will be dismissed or not will depend on a variety of factors that could only be determined after reviewing the facts and circumstances. You would need a Massachusetts attorney to handle this for you.

3. Howard Robert Roitman

Answered . GET a Mass lawyer, or if you are in a traffic stop you may be arrested and:
    An extradition warrant is issued for the arrest and custody of an accused fugitive and it surrenders him/her to a demanding state or country. An extradition warrant from the governor is necessary to extradite a fugitive. On the issuance of a warrant, a demanding state obtains authority to take a fugitive and try him/her under its jurisdiction.

The Uniform Criminal Extradition Act and the Uniform Extradition and Rendition Act require a governor who receives a valid request for extradition to issue a warrant for the arrest and extradition of the fugitive. The governor can delegate the task of signing of the warrant[i].

An extradition warrant authorizes a law enforcement officer or a person to whom it is directed to arrest a fugitive at any time, any place where s/he may be found. An arrested fugitive is to be brought before a judge before handing him/her to an agent of a demanding state.