I was arrested in 2008 for Residential Burglary charges, I took my case to trial and after false testimony & lack of evidence

Asked about 1 year ago - Corcoran, CA

the case was dismissed without prejudice and I thought that was the last of this issue. I recently was on line doing a back ground search on some one when I decided to do 1 on myself , Upon reading mine I saw that I had this Burglary Charge on there. I would like to know how I would go about having that removed seeing's the case was dismissed, especially after so much time has passed? What do I need and how do I get it removed from my record?

1. Greg Thomas Hill

3

6

Best Answer

Answered . I am not sure from your answer exactly what is showing on the background search. If there is inaccurate information, go to the California Attorney General Website at www.ag.ca.gov and fill out a form available online to have your record corrected to show dismissal of the case. I would think that having the entire record removed is going to be an uphill battle. What dismissal means is that the prosecution failed to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, not that you were innocent. You certainly may have been innocent, 851.8 relief is not available once two years has passed.

2. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

4

Answered . Depending on the evidence, you can do a petition to seal and destroy the arrest record under Penal Code Section 851.8, but the standard of proof is high and the chance you would win is low. Otherwise, the record of the court will remain as is.

3. Joseph Salvatore Farina

3

1

Answered . Your biggest hurdle is that there is a 2 year statute of limitations from the date of dismissal on filing a motion for a finding of factual innocence. If such a motion were granted, your record would be sealed, which is a true expungement. Since you're past that date, your motion would be untimely and would be denied. Not sure what else you could do at this point.

4. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

Answered . See an Attorney about an 851.8 petition, I do them often