I was arrested in 2007 for possession of Marijuana and was bonded out. Its 2013 has the Statute of limitations ran out.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Valley, AL

How can i go about getting it off my background. Its showing that i still have a pending case?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patrick Mahaney


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In the criminal law context, the term 'statute of limitations' means the time period in which to initiate or begin a criminal prosecution. If an arrest warrant was issued in 2007, that event 'tolled' (or stopped) any statute of limitations problem. See, Code of Alabama, 1975, section 15-3-7: 'When prosecution deemed commenced.' which states: "A prosecution may be commenced within the meaning of this chapter by finding an indictment, the issuing of a warrant or by binding over the offender."

  2. Brian Joseph Lockwood


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Under Alabama law, a warrant being filed, an indictment being issued or a bind over is necessary. Check for a warrant.

    The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The... more
  3. John M. Kaman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Nope. Once you were arrested and charged the statute stopped running. Maybe it is time you stopped running as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,765 answers this week

3,445 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,765 answers this week

3,445 attorneys answering