I was arrested in 1998 for a DV4 i wonder if it's a felony or misdemeanor and can I own a gun

Asked over 1 year ago - Rochester, WA

my boyfriend was very abusive and I covered for him because his whole family was there so I took being charged

1. Patrick Owen Earl

Pro

6

Answered . If your charge was Assault 4th degree, DV then it was a gross misdemeanor. However, with the classification of DV you lost your right to possess a firearm. I live in Moses Lake, WA so I am not that close to you but I do live in WA state. At this point if your issue is trying to get back your gun rights you will need to deal with a local attorney most likely. Good Luck

2. Bruce Clement

Pro

6

Answered . You say that you were "arrested" and later "charged". You don't lose your rights unless you were "convicted" (after a trial, or after entering a guilty plea). If you were convicted, you lost your rights. However, you might be able to get your rights restored by filing a motion asking fir a court order restoring them. Also, if you were actually innocent and pled guilty out of fear from your boyfriend or his family, you might be able to vacate the conviction.

3. James J White

Pro

4

Answered . It is a misdemeanor and you may not possess a firearm because of the domestic violence designation. You can have the charge vacated and your right to possess a firearm restored to you. Contact me directly for further information.
    At your service,