I was arrested in 1998 for a DV4 i wonder if it's a felony or misdemeanor and can I own a gun

Rochester, WA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

my boyfriend was very abusive and I covered for him because his whole family was there so I took being charged

1. If your charge was Assault 4th degree, DV then it was a gross misdemeanor. However, with the classification of DV you lost your right to possess a firearm. I live in Moses Lake, WA so I am not that close to you but I do live in WA state. At this point if your issue is trying to get back your gun rights you will need to deal with a local attorney most likely. Good Luck

2. You say that you were "arrested" and later "charged". You don't lose your rights unless you were "convicted" (after a trial, or after entering a guilty plea). If you were convicted, you lost your rights. However, you might be able to get your rights restored by filing a motion asking fir a court order restoring them. Also, if you were actually innocent and pled guilty out of fear from your boyfriend or his family, you might be able to vacate the conviction.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

3. It is a misdemeanor and you may not possess a firearm because of the domestic violence designation. You can have the charge vacated and your right to possess a firearm restored to you. Contact me directly for further information.
    At your service,