I was arrested for shoplifting lipgloss and was charged with pl 165.50 . No criminal background for robbery or shoplifting .

Brooklyn, NY |

Yes i was dumb but i shoplifted lipgloss , i regret it but it happened . I never served jail time or been in serious trouble . Ive been arrested for marijuana found on my friend but they took both of us , and the case was dropped because of no record. Im just terrified , i dont want to serve jail time off of lipgloss . Whats the worse that can happen , please i need help!

Hire a lawyer, if for nothing else, then peace of mind. The worst that can happen is a criminal conviction for a class A misdemeanor and one year in jail, but come to court with an experienced criminal defense lawyer and you should be able to work out a deal that keeps your record clean and avoids jail.

How do i hire a lawyer and i cant afford it

John M. Cromwell

John M. Cromwell

Look for a lawyer who will agree to a payment plan, or ask the judge to assign you a lawyer. Assigned lawyers can be very good. You just don't get to select the lawyer. And while the lawyer may be experienced, and in the end, get you the same result you would have received with a paid lawyer, you will not necessarily get the same amount of time and attention you would expect from a paid lawyer.

As for what my situation is , do you think its really that serious to derve s year in jail ? I was never a troubled child , got good grades , graduated high school , respectful and kind hearted , i dont normally steal that was a first and last , i just font want one mistake to ruin my life and future career.

John M. Cromwell

John M. Cromwell

No, I don't think you will get jail. You originally asked what was the worst that could happen to you.

Even if it was more than one ? They took down i stole toothpaste wen i bought it aling with other items from a different store , he claimed the product wasnt on the recipt but when i looked at it none of the items i bought wasnt labeled all it had was "misc tax" along with the price next to it. Im terrified my court date is wednesday dont know what to say or think. I dont want to be convicted

I have handled thousands of shoplifting cases in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the NYC area for 30 years. A good lawyer will get the case dismissed with an ACD dismissal and you will not pay a fine or have a criminal record. You mat have to do shoplifting school for a 4 hour class or community service. You are not a criminal you just made a mistake and it will not be expensive as it is just one appearance.
John Carney Esq 917 696 2363

What if i cant afford a lawyer , im unemployed but im enrolled in college .

I handle these all the time. I am former federal and State prosecutor. You are not going to jail and will not have a record. Hire a good criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.