I was arrested for shoplifting lipgloss and was charged with pl 165.50 . No criminal background for robbery or shoplifting .

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Yes i was dumb but i shoplifted lipgloss , i regret it but it happened . I never served jail time or been in serious trouble . Ive been arrested for marijuana found on my friend but they took both of us , and the case was dropped because of no record. Im just terrified , i dont want to serve jail time off of lipgloss . Whats the worse that can happen , please i need help!

1. John M. Cromwell

Pro

2

Answered . Hire a lawyer, if for nothing else, then peace of mind. The worst that can happen is a criminal conviction for a class A misdemeanor and one year in jail, but come to court with an experienced criminal defense lawyer and you should be able to work out a deal that keeps your record clean and avoids jail.

2. John J. Carney

Pro

1

1

Answered . I have handled thousands of shoplifting cases in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and the NYC area for 30 years. A good lawyer will get the case dismissed with an ACD dismissal and you will not pay a fine or have a criminal record. You mat have to do shoplifting school for a 4 hour class or community service. You are not a criminal you just made a mistake and it will not be expensive as it is just one appearance.
    John Carney Esq 917 696 2363

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

Answered . I handle these all the time. I am former federal and State prosecutor. You are not going to jail and will not have a record. Hire a good criminal defense lawyer.